top of page



∙ Supervises the construction, reconstruction, and maintenance of regulated drains.  Regulated drains are open ditches  or tile drains that serve agricultural, residential, and commercial development under the jurisdiction of the Madison      County Drainage Board.


∙ Oversees the maintenance of regulated drains by repairing broken tiles, removing obstructions, and brushing and dredging.


∙ Maintains section corner records showing original government section corners.

∙ Acts as an ex-officio and non-voting member of the County Drainage Board.  The Surveyor is the technical authority on the construction, reconstruction, and maintenance of all regulated drains.

∙ Maintains a record of all benchmarks in the county with elevations and descriptions.

The Madison County Surveyor serves in the following capacity:
Madison County Planning Commission – voting member
Madison County Technical Review Committee – voting member
Madison County Council of Governments:  Technical Committee, Policy Committee, Finance Committee - voting member on all
Madison County Drainage Board – non-voting member (technical advisor)

Additional Links

 Madison County Drainage Board

 Madison County GIS Map

 Madison County Stormwater Partnership

 IDEM MS4 Program

 DNR – Water Division


 Wetland Inventory Maps

Additional Information
  • Where are you located and what are your hours?
    16 E 9th St, Room 213 Anderson, IN 46016 We are on the second floor of the courthouse. We are open Monday – Friday 8:00 to 4:00. We do not close for lunch. Our office is closed for major holidays. See the Holiday Schedule at
  • How do I find out where to vote?
    Please visit our Polling Locations page for information on where and when you can vote in an upcoming election. You can also visit for more information.
  • How can I register to vote?
    Please visit our How To Register page for helpful instructions and links on how to register to vote online. If you are unable to register online you can fill out the Indiana Voter Registration Application (VRG-7). You can download the form here, or visit your county registration office at: 16 East 9th Street, Suite 208 Anderson, IN 46016-1588 (765) 641-9657 Please Note: If you do not have access to a computer or the internet, your local library will have these resources available for you to download the application form.
  • What does the Election Office do?
    The Madison County, IN Election Office, overseen by the Director of Elections and the Clerk's Office, makes available and maintains current and helpful election information for residents and voters.
  • 2. What forms of payment are accepted?
    We accept cash, checks, or credit cards. With credit cards, we accept MasterCard, Visa, and Discover. There is a convenience fee of $1 for transactions up to $33 and for amounts over $33 the fee is 3%.
  • 18. I got a letter in the mail saying I need to pay the Recorder’s Office money to get a copy of my deed. Do I need to do that?
    We do not send out mailers asking for money. Madison County property owners have been receiving letters in the mail that appear to be from the Recorder’s Office at first glance. Upon a closer look, you will notice that the document is from companies using familiar words like LOCAL RECORDS OFFICE. These companies provide a “service” to send copies of the property owner’s deed for a service fee of $90+. We only charge $1 per page for a copy of your deed. Deeds are typically 1 to 3 pages. If you encounter such a mailing, you are not obligated to use their service. If you want a copy of your document or want to ask us about this warning you can visit our office at the Madison County Courthouse 16 E 9th Street Suite 205, Anderson, IN 46016. We are located on the second floor. Or you can call the Recorder’s Office at 765-641-9613. If you would like to know more from the state or report that you have received a mailer you may call the Indiana Attorney General’s Office at 1-800-382-5516.
  • 11. Can you give me the abstract or history of my property?
    We can do a quick look to see what we can find given the information provided to us. As we are not title searchers, we do not guarantee our findings. You may use a title company for a more extensive search or come in and use one of our public search terminals to look through our records. Prints are $1 per page.
  • 14. What do I need for a Transfer on Death Deed? What does it do?
    We recommend contacting an attorney for legal advice. We can provide you the recording requirement.
  • 17. How do I sign up for Property Fraud Alert?
    All it takes is a name and contact information. For more information click the ‘Property Fraud Alert’ button to the left.
  • 3. How do I get a certified copy?
    Certified copies can be obtained in the office or through the mail. The cost is $1 per page and $5 per document for the certified stamp.
  • 5. How do I change the name(s) on the title/deed to my property?
    We recommend consulting an attorney or title company.
  • 12. What liens are on my property?
    Our office records mortgages, city liens, mechanic’s liens, Federal Tax Liens, and some others. We are not title searchers in this office, so we do not guarantee our findings. For anything through the courts and/or State Tax Liens, contact the Clerk’s Office for more information.
  • 1. Where are you located and what are your hours?
    16 E 9th Street Suite 205 Anderson, IN 46016 We are on the second floor of the courthouse. We are open Monday – Friday 8:00 to 4:00. We do not close for lunch. Our office is closed for major holidays. See the Holiday Schedule at
  • 16. How can I obtain a copy of my relatives DD214?
    We suggest calling in and making sure the DD214 is recorded with us for your first step. Military Discharge documents in our office are secured and only available to pick up when a verification process is done. Only the veteran can pick up their DD214, if it had been recorded with us by the veteran, or the veterans Power of Attorney. If the veteran is deceased, you’ll need to meet criteria and follow the steps to obtain one through our office or contact the Veterans Affairs Office. See the ‘Veterans DD214’ button to the left.
  • 9. Can I email my document to you to be recorded?
    We accept documents in person, by mail, or through one of the four E-Recording vendors. You can click the ‘Recording A Document’ button to the left for more information.
  • 7. I paid off my mortgage. When will I receive my deed?
    We do not keep original transfer documents in our office. After recording the document, we return it to the sender unless we are given another address at the time of recording. You may obtain a copy of your recorded document from our office for $1 per page.
  • 10. There is an error on my deed. Do I get that fixed at your office?
    We recommend contacting an attorney or title company. The corrected document will need to have a cross-reference to the original document, and a written reason for the re-recording on the front page.
  • 6. How do I find out where my property lines are?
    A survey will show your property lines. Surveys are available once recorded in our office.
  • 15. What are the size requirements for a plat/survey? Can I send it electronically?
    Plats and Surveys need to be a minimum of 18” x 24”, but no larger than 24” x 36”. When you bring in a plat and/or survey, please bring in an extra copy if you want a recorded copy back. We keep the original recorded document. At this time, we do NOT accept Plats and Surveys electronically.
  • 4. Can you help me fill out my document?
    We recommend consulting an attorney or title company. We will look over your document and tell you if all recording requirements are met. We can also provide you a printout of our requirements or you can click the ‘Recording A Document’ link to the left.
  • 13. Can you tell me who lives at (insert address here)? And how to contact them?
    We record land documents for preservation and can provide the most recent deed at $1 per page. We can pull that information using the name of the current owner or by legal description. We cannot search by address. We have public search terminals available in our office to search recorded documents. We do not keep contact information.
  • 8. How do I get the legal description for my property?
    Your legal description is usually found in the last recorded deed. You may obtain a copy of the document at our office for $1 per page. Please note we do not guarantee that what we find is the correct legal description.
    1994 Woodlawn Heights Transfer Book 1982 Woodlawn Heights Transfer Book 1975 Woodlawn Heights Transfer Book 1963 Woodlawn Heights Transfer Book 1956 Woodlawn Heights Transfer Book
    1994 Pendleton-Green
    1956 Anderson Twp Transfer Book Q-Z 1963 Anderson City Transfer Book 1963 Anderson Twp (Z at end of Co No) Part1 1963 Anderson Twp (Z at end of Co No) Part2 1982 Anderson City-Anderson Twp Transfer Book 1994 Anderson City-Anderson Twp Transfer Book Part1 1994 Anderson City-Anderson Twp Transfer Book Part2 1994 Anderson City-Anderson Twp Transfer Book Part3 1994 Anderson City-Anderson Twp Transfer Book Part4 A-P Part1 A-P Part2 A-P Part3
    1994 Edgewood Transfer Book 1982 Edgewood Transfer Book 1975 Edgewood Transfer Book 1963 Edgewood Transfer Book 1956 Edgewood Transfer Book
    1994 Orestes Transfer Book 1982 Orestes Transfer Book 1975 Orestes Transfer Book 1963 Orestes Transfer Book 1956 Orestes Transfer Book
    1994 Lapel Transfer Book 1982 Lapel Transfer Book 1975 Lapel Transfer Book 1963 Lapel Transfer Book 1956 Lapel Transfer Book
    1994 Ingalls Transfer Book 1982 Ingalls Transfer Book 1975 Ingalls Transfer Book 1963 Ingalls Transfer Book 1956 Ingalls Transfer Book
    1994 Chesterfield Transfer Book 1982 Chesterfield Transfer Book 1975 Chesterfield Transfer Book 1963 Chesterfield Transfer Book 1956 Chesterfield Transfer Book
    1994 Frankton-Pipecreek Transfer Book 1994 Frankton-Lafayette Transfer Book 1982 Frankton-Pipecreek Transfer Book 1982 Frankton-Lafayette Transfer Book 1975 Frankton-Pipecreek Transfer Book 1975 Frankton-Lafayette Transfer Book 1963 Frankton-Pipecreek Transfer Book 1963 Frankton-Lafayette Transfer Book 1956 Frankton-Pipecreek Transfer Book 1956 Frankton-Lafayette Transfer Book
    1994 Anderson-Adams 1982 Anderson-Adams 1982 Anderson City-Anderson Twp Transfer Book Q-Z 1963 Anderson City Transfer Book 1956 Anderson Twp Transfer Book
    1994 Markleville Transfer Book 1982 Markleville Transfer Book 1975 Markleville Transfer Book 1963 Markleville Transfer Book 1956 Markleville Transfer Book
    1994 Alexandria Transfer Book 1982 Alexandria Transfer Book 1975 Alexandria Transfer Book 1963 Alexandria Transfer Book 1963 GIMCO CITY ANNEXED to Alexandria 1956 Alexandria Transfer Book
    1994 Pendleton Transfer Book 1982 Pendleton Transfer Book 1975 Pendleton Transfer Book 1963 Pendleton Transfer Book 1956 Pendleton Transfer Book
    1994 Anderson-Richland Transfer Book 1982 Anderson-Richland Transfer Book 1975 Anderson-Richland Transfer Book 1963 Anderson-Richland Transfer Book 1956 Anderson-Richland Transfer Book
    1994 Country Club Heights Transfer Book 1982 Country Club Heights Transfer Book 1975 Country Club Heights Transfer Book 1963 Country Club Heights Transfer Book 1956 Country Club Heights Transfer Book
    1994 Anderson-Lafayette Transfer Book 1982 Anderson-Lafayette Transfer Book 1975 Anderson-Lafayette Transfer Book 1963 Anderson-Lafayette Transfer Book 1956 Anderson-Lafayette Transfer Book
    1994 Anderson-Lafayette West Central
    1994 Anderson-Fall Creek Transfer Book 1982 Anderson-Fall Creek Transfer Book
    1994 Summitville Transfer Book 1982 Summitville Transfer Book 1975 Summitville Transfer Book 1963 Summitville Transfer Book 1956 Summitville Transfer Book
    1994 River Forest Transfer Book 1982 River Forest Transfer Book 1975 River Forest Transfer Book 1963 River Forest Transfer Book
    1994 Elwood-Duckcreek Transfer Book 1994 Elwood-Pipecreek Transfer Book 1982 Elwood-Pipecreek Transfer Book 1982 Elwood-Duckcreek Transfer Book 1975 Elwood-Pipecreek Transfer Book 1975 Elwood-Duckcreek Transfer Book 1963 Elwood-Pipecreek Transfer Book 1963 Elwood-Duckcreek Transfer Book 1956 Elwood-Pipecreek Transfer Book
    1994 Anderson-Union Transfer Book 1982 Anderson-Union Transfer Book 1975 Anderson-Union Transfer Book 1963 Anderson-Union Transfer Book
    1994 Van Buren Township Transfer Book 1982 Van Buren Township Transfer Book 1975 Van Buren Township Transfer Book 1963 Van Buren Township Transfer Book 1956 Van Buren Township Transfer Book
    1994 Fall Creek Township Transfer Book 1982 Fall Creek Township Transfer Book 1981 Fall Creek Township Transfer Book 1975 Fall Creek Township Transfer Book 1963 Fall Creek Township Transfer Book 1956 Fall Creek Township Transfer Book
    1994 Richland Township Transfer Book 1982 Richland Township Transfer Book 1975 Richland Township Transfer Book 1963 Richland Township Transfer Book 1956 Richland Township Transfer Book
    A-P Part1 A-P Part2 A-P Part3 1963 Anderson Twp (Z at end of Co No) Part1 1963 Anderson Twp (Z at end of Co No) Part2 1994 Anderson City-Anderson Twp Transfer Book Part1 1994 Anderson City-Anderson Twp Transfer Book Part2 1994 Adams Township Transfer Book 1982 Adams Township Transfer Book 1981 Adams Township Transfer Book 1975 Adams Township Transfer Book 1963 Adams Township Transfer Book 1956 Adams Township Transfer Book
    1994 Green Township Transfer Book 1982 Green Township Transfer Book 1981 Green Township Transfer Book 1975 Green Township Transfer Book 1963 Green Township Transfer Book 1956 Green Township Transfer Book
    1994 Monroe Township Transfer Book 1982 Monroe Township Transfer Book 1975 Monroe Township Transfer Book 1963 Monroe Township Transfer Book 1956 Monroe Township Transfer Book
    1994 Pipecreek-West Central Transfer Book 1994 Pipecreek-Elwood Transfer Book 1982 Pipecreek-West Central Transfer Book 1982 Pipecreek-Elwood Transfer Book 1975 Pipecreek-West Central Transfer Book 1975 Pipecreek-Elwood Transfer Book 1963 Elwood-Pipecreek Transfer Book 1956 Pipecreek Township Transfer Book
    1994 Jackson Township Transfer Book 1982 Jackson Township Transfer Book 1975 Jackson Township Transfer Book 1963 Jackson Township Transfer Book 1956 Jackson Township Transfer Book
    1994 Duck Creek-Madison Grant Transfer Book 1994 Duck Creek-Elwood Transfer Book 1982 Duck Creek-Madison Grant Transfer Book 1982 Duck Creek-Elwood Transfer Book 1981 Duck Creek-Madison Grant Transfer Book 1981 Duck Creek-Elwood Transfer Book 1975 Duck Creek-Madison Grant Transfer Book 1975 Duck Creek-Elwood Transfer Book 1963 Duck Creek Township Transfer Book 1956 Duck Creek Twp Transfer Book
    1994 Stony Creek Township Transfer Book 1982 Stony Creek Township Transfer Book 1975 Stony Creek Township Transfer Book 1963 Stony Creek Township Transfer Book 1956 Stony Creek Township Transfer Book
    1994 Boone Township Transfer Book 1982 Boone Township Transfer Book 1981 Boone Township Transfer Book 1975 Boone Township Transfer Book 1963 Boone Township Transfer Book 1956 Boone Township Transfer Book
    1994 Lafayette-West Central Transfer Book 1994 Lafayette-Anderson Transfer Book 1982 Lafayette-West Central Transfer Book 1982 Lafayette-Anderson Transfer Book 1975 Lafayette-West Central Transfer Book 1975 Lafayette-Anderson Transfer Book 1963 Lafayette Township Transfer Book 1956 Lafayette Township Transfer Book
    1994 Union Township Transfer Book 1982 Union Township Transfer Book 1975 Union Township Transfer Book 1963 Union Township Transfer Book 1956 Union Township Transfer Book
  • Does the assessment go to the general fund?
    No. Regulated drain assessments go to a separate account for each individual regulated drain. Therefore, assessments collected for a particular drain can only be spent on that drain.
  • What are "Section Corners?"
    Section corners were created when the government originally surveyed Indiana into "mile square" parcels. Section corners refer to the four (4) corners of the "mile square" parcel. The intermediate half-mile corners are referred to as "quarter corners" because they divide the section into quarters. These corners are usually found near the centerline of roads. Section corners are marked by monuments set under the direction of a licensed surveyor.
  • What is the difference between an assessment and a tax?
    An assessment is paid only by the property owners who benefit from said assessment.
  • Where can I get a county map?
    You may download a county map on this site by visiting the "Madison County Maps" page, or you may acquire a copy by visiting the Madison County Surveyor's Office or the Madison County Council of Governments Office.
  • What is a regulated drain?
    A regulated drain is a drain that was either approved (adopted) by the courts prior to January 1, 1966 or adopted by the Drainage Board after December 31, 1965. A regulated drain may be an agricultural drain, an urban storm sewer, or an open drain. Regulated drains are commonly referred to as "court drains", "legal drains", or "county drains".
  • When and where does the Drainage Board meet?
    The Madison County Drainage Board meets the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of every month at 9:00 A.M. in the Commissioner's Court, which is located on the first floor of the Madison County Government Center.
  • What are benchmarks?
    Benchmarks in land surveying usually refer to a monument containing an elevation relative to sea level. The County Surveyor's Office tries to maintain and perpetuate these for use by the development community, floodplain determinations, and stormwater management.
  • I have a tile that connects to a regulated drain. Does that mean that maintaining this tile is the county's responsibility?
    No. The county is responsible for the regulated drain only. Any private tile connecting to a regulated drain tile is the responsibility of the land owner.
  • Is my property in a flood zone?
    The Madison County Surveyor's Office does not make Flood Zone determinations. Contact the Madison County Planning Commission about procedures regarding Flood Zone determination. Also, you may visit FEMA's (Federal Emergency Management Agency) Web Site for additional information.
  • What are the business hours of the Surveyor's Office?
    The Surveyor's Office is open 8:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M., Monday through Friday, excluding Holidays. (see "Government Center" for a complete list of Holidays closings.
  • What is a legal survey?
    A legal survey is a process by a landowner to establish the location of the line between the his/her property and that of an adjoining landowner. This usually occurs when a discrepancy exists in title descriptions or poor boundary monumentation.
  • Where do I find maps of regulated drains?
    Regulated drain maps are on file in the Surveyor's Office.
  • Why do I pay a drainage assessment when the drain is not located on my property?
    Even though the regulated drain may not physically run through your property, your property is within the regulated drain watershed and is benefited by the drain.
  • Can you recommend a private surveyor to use?
    No. As a government office, we cannot direct you to any particular company. We recommend that you consult the yellow pages and under "Land Surveyors", and that you call more than one. You may also visit the Surveyor's Office "Private Survey Companies" page on this Web site. If you are a local surveyor and would like your company added to this list, please contact the Madison County Surveyor's Office.
  • How can I get a hole fixed on a tile drain?
    If the tile drain is a regulated drain and on a maintenance program, you may call or visit the Madison County Surveyor's Office and file a drainage complaint.
  • Why do I pay an assessment and how is that money spent?
    Regulated drain assessments are collected and placed into specific individual regulated drain accounts for the purpose of maintaining the regulated drain. Maintenance of regulated drains include replacing collapsed tile, removing blockages from tile or open ditches, and bank stabilization.
  • Where is the Surveyor's Office located?
    The Surveyor's Office is located on the 2nd floor of the Madison County Government Center (16 East 9th Street, Anderson, IN 46013).
  • Who are the Drainage Board?
    The Madison County Drainage Board is made up of 7 members: 1 Commissioner, 4 Madison County residents, the County Surveyor, and an attorney. The County Surveyor and the attorney are non-voting members of the Drainage Board.
  • Who determines who pays and how much?
    Regulated drain assessments are determined by the Drainage Board at public hearings. Part of this process includes notifying each property owner affected a notice of the public hearing.
  • Can I get my property surveyed?
    No. The Surveyor's Office does not survey personal property. The office responsibility is maintaining section corners and maintaining regulated drains.
  • Does your office have a copy of a survey for my property?
    No. The Surveyor's Office does not keep copies of property surveys. However, Indiana State Statute currently requires surveys to be recorded. You may be able to acquire a copy of your survey by visiting the Recorder's Office. You may also acquire a copy of your survey by contacting the private surveyor that prepared your survey.
Drainage Glossary

100-year Flood: A flood stage that, statistically has a 1% probability of occurring in any given year. Abutment: The sloping sides of a valley that supports the ends of a dam. Aggregate: (1) The sand and gravel portion of concrete (65% to 75% by volume), the rest being cement and water. (2) That which is installed for the purpose of changing drainage characteristics. Alluvium: A general term for all detrital material deposited or in transit by streams, including gravel, sand, silt, clay, and all variations and mixtures of these. Apron: A pad of non-erosive material designed to prevent scour holes developing at the outlet ends of culverts, outlet pipes, grade stabilization structures, and other water control devices. Aquifer: An underground porous, water-bearing geological formation. Backwater: The rise in water surface elevation caused by some obstruction such as a narrow bridge opening, buildings or fill material that limits the area through which the water shall flow. Base Flood Elevation (BFE): The water surface elevation corresponding to a flood having a one percent probability of being equaled or exceeded in a given year. Base Flow: Stream discharge derived from groundwater sources as differentiated from surface runoff. Benchmark: A marked point of known elevation from which other elevations may be established. Berm: A narrow shelf or flat area that breaks the contiguity of a slope. Best Management Practices (BMP): Design, construction, and maintenance practices and criteria for stormwater facilities that minimize the impact of stormwater runoff rates and volumes, prevent erosion, and capture pollutants. Capacity of a Storm Drainage Facility: The maximum flow that can be conveyed or stored by a storm drainage facility without causing damage to public or private property. Catch Basin: A chamber usually built at the curb line of a street for the admission of surface water to a storm sewer or sub-drain, having at its base a sediment sump designed to retain grit and detritus below the point of overflow. Chicken Wire: A woven wire fabric with an opening size of about 1 1/2 inches. Chute or Rock Chute: A high velocity, open channel (lined with rip-rap) for conveying water down a steep slope without erosion. Combined Sewer: A sewerage system that carries both sanitary sewage and stormwater runoff. Contour: An imaginary line on the surface of the earth connecting points of the same elevation. Contour Line: Line on a map which represents a contour or points of equal elevation. County Surveyor: A constitutional officer of the county, elected to a 4-year term from the county at large. Primary duties of the surveyor includes maintaining annexation descriptions, legal survey book, and section corner record book. The surveyor is also an ex-officio member of the County Drainage Board and the technical authority on the construction, reconstruction, and maintenance of all regulated drains or proposed regulated drains in the county. Other major responsibilities of the surveyor includes administering filter strip programs, membership in the County Plan Commission, and certification to the Indiana Alcoholic Beverage Commission. Cross Section: A graph or plot of ground elevation across a stream valley or a portion of it, usually along a line perpendicular to the stream or direction of flow. Culvert: A closed conduit used for the conveyance of surface drainage water under a roadway, railroad, canal, or other impediment. Cut-and-Fill: The process of earth grading by excavating part of a higher area and using the excavated material for fill to raise the surface of an adjacent lower area. Design Life: The period of time for which a facility is expected to perform its intended function. Design Standards: Detailed engineering drawings and/or specifications promulgated by public or private organizations that leave little choice to design engineers and technicians (e.g. manhole, catch basin, and inlet standards). Design Storm: A selected storm event, described in terms of the probability of occurring once within a given number of years, for which drainage or flood control improvements are designed and built. Detention: Managing stormwater runoff by temporary holding and controlled release. Dike: An embankment to confine or control water. Often built along the banks of a river to prevent overflow of lowlands: a levee. Discharge: Usually the rate of water flow. A Volume of fluid passing a point per unit time commonly expressed as cubic feet per second, cubic meters per second, gallons per minute, or millions of gallons per day. Ditch: A man-made, open drainage-way in or into which excess surface water or groundwater drained from land, stormwater runoff, or floodwaters flow either continuously or intermittently drain. A buried slotted or perforated pipe or other conduit (subsurface drain) or a ditch (open drain) for carrying off surplus groundwater or surface water. Drainage: The removal of excess surface water or groundwater from land by means of ditches, or subsurface drains. Drainage Area: The area draining into a stream at a given point. It may be of different sizes for surface runoff, subsurface flow and base flow, but generally the surface runoff area is considered as the drainage area. Drainage Board: A board consisting of three to five persons including the county executive (commissioners) or members appointed by the executive body (at least one of the Board members must be a county executive). The County Surveyor serves on the Board as an ex-officio, non-voting member. The Board is responsible for adopting drain classifications and a long-range plan, and for making decisions regarding the design, construction, reconstruction, and/or maintenance of regulated drains in the county. Drainage Improvement: An activity within or adjacent to a natural stream or a man-made drain primarily intended to improve the flow capacity, drainage, erosion and sedimentation control, or stability of the drainage-way. Drainage Shed: See Drainage Area. Drainage-way: A natural or artificial stream, closed conduit, or depression that carries surface water. This term is usually applied to all types of drains and watercourses, whether man-made or natural. Dredging: A method for deepening streams, lakes, or reservoirs by scraping and removing solids from the bottom. Erosion: The wearing away of the land surface by water, wind, ice, gravity, or other geological agents. Excess Rainfall: The amount of rainfall that runs directly off an area. Farm or Field Tile: A small diameter clay pipe installed in an agricultural area to allow drainage of farmland. Filter Strip: Usually a long, relatively narrow area (usually 20-75 feet wide) of undisturbed or planted vegetation used to retard or collect sediment for the protection of watercourses, reservoirs, or adjacent properties. Flap-gate: A device that allows liquids to flow in only one direction in a pipe. Backflow preventers are used on outlet pipes to prevent a reverse flow during flooding situations. Floodplain: Land immediately adjoining a stream which is inundated when the discharge exceeds the conveyance of the normal channel. The channel proper and the areas adjoining the channel which have been or hereafter may be covered by the regulatory or 100-year flood. Any normally dry land area that is susceptible to being inundated by water from any natural source. The floodplain includes both the floodway and the floodway fringe districts. Floodway: The channel of a river or stream and those portions of the flood plain adjoining the channel which are reasonably required to efficiently carry and discharge the peak flow of the regulatory flood of any river or stream. Flume: A constructed channel lined with erosion-resistant materials used to convey water on the steep grades without erosion. Foundation Drain: A pipe or series of pipes that collect groundwater from the foundation or footing of structures to improve stability. Gabion: A wire mesh cage, usually rectangular, filled with rock and used to protect channel banks and other sloping areas from erosion. Gradation: The distribution of the various sized particles that constitute a sediment, soil, or other material, such as rip-rap. Grade: (1) The slope of a road, a channel, or natural ground. (2) The finished surface of a canal bed, roadbed, top of embankment, or bottom of excavation; any surface prepared to a design elevation for the support of construction, such as paving or the laying of a conduit. (3) To finish the surface of a canal bed, roadbed, top of embankment, or bottom of excavation, or other land area to a smooth, even condition. Gradient: (1) A change of elevation, velocity, pressure, or other characteristics per unit length. (2) Slope. Headwater: (1) The source of a stream. (2) The water upstream from a structure or point on a stream. Hydrograph: A graph showing for a given point on a stream the discharge, stage (depth), velocity, or other property of water with respect to time. Impervious: Not allowing infiltration. Infiltration: Passage or movement of water into the soil. Intermittent Stream: A stream that ceases to flow in very dry periods. Invert: The inside bottom of a culvert or other conduit. Land Surveyor: A person licensed under the laws of the State of Indiana to practice land surveying. Land Use Controls: Methods of regulating the uses to which a given land area may be put, including such things as zoning, subdivision regulation, and floodplain regulation. Non-point Source Pollution: Pollution that enters a water body from diffuse origins on the watershed and does not result from discernable, confined, or discrete conveyances. Open Drain: A natural watercourse or constructed open channel that conveys drainage water. Out-fall: The point, location, or structure where wastewater or drainage discharges from a pipe or open drain to a receiving body of water. Outlet: The point of water disposal from a stream, river, lake, tidewater, or artificial drain. Outlet Channel: A waterway constructed or altered primarily to carry water from man-made structures, such as smaller channels, tile lines, and diversions. Peak Discharge: The maximum instantaneous flow from a given storm condition at a specific location. Percolation: The movement of water through soil. Percolation Rate: The rate, usually expressed as inches per hour or inches per day, at which water moves through soil. Perennial Stream: A stream that maintains water in its channel throughout the year. pH: A numerical measure of hydrogen ion activity, the neutral point being 7.0. Al pH values below 7.0 are acid, and all above 7.0 are alkaline. Point Source Pollution: Any discernable, confined, and discrete conveyance including but not limited to any pipe, ditch, channel, tunnel, conduit, well, discrete fissure, container, rolling stock, concentrated animal feeding operation, or vessel or other floating craft, from which pollutants are or may be discharged. Private Drain: A drain that: (1) is located on land owned by one person or by two or more persons jointly, and (2) was not established under or made subject to any drainage statute. Professional Engineer: A person licensed under the laws of the State of Indiana to practice professional engineering. PVC Pipe: Polyvinyl Chloride Pipe. Receiving Stream: The body of water into which runoff or effluent is discharged. Regulated Drain: A drain, either open channel or closed tile/storm sewer, subject to the provisions of the Indiana Drainage Code, I.C.-36-9-27. Reservoir: A natural or artificially created pond, lake or other space used for storage, regulation or control of water. May be permanent or temporary. Retention: The storage of stormwater to prevent it from leaving the development site. May be permanent or temporary. Retention Facility: A facility designed to completely retain a specified amount of stormwater runoff without release except by means of evaporation, infiltration or pumping. Rill: A small intermittent watercourse with steep sides, usually only a few inches deep. Riparian: Of, on, or pertaining to the banks of a stream, river, or pond. Riparian Rights: A principle of common law requiring that any user of waters adjoining or flowing through his lands must use and protect them in a manner that will enable his neighbor to utilize the same waters undiminished in quantity and undefiled in quality. Riprap: Broken rock, cobble, or boulders placed on earth surfaces, such as the face of a dam or the bank of a stream, for protection against the action of water (waves). Riser: The inlet portions of a drop inlet spillway that extend vertically from the pipe conduit barrel to the water surface. Runoff: That portion of precipitation that flows from a drainage area on the land surface, in open channels, or stormwater conveyance systems. Saturation: In soils, the point at which a soil or aquifer will no longer absorb any amount of water without losing an equal amount. Sediment: Solid material (both mineral and organic) that is in suspension, is being transported, or has been moved from its site of origin by air, water, gravity, or ice and has come to rest on the earth's surface. Sedimentation: The process that deposits soils, debris and other materials either on the ground surfaces or in bodies of water or watercourses. Silt: (1) Soil fraction consisting of particles between 0.002mm and 0.05mm in diameter. (2) A soil textural class indicating more than 80% silt. Silt Fence: A fence constructed of wood or steel supports and either natural (e.g. burlap) or synthetic fabric stretched across area of non-concentrated flow during site development to trap and retain on-site sediment due to rainfall runoff. Stormwater Runoff: The water derived from rains falling within a tributary basin, flowing over the surface of the ground or collected in channels or conduits. Storm Sewer: A sewer that carries stormwater, surface drainage, street wash, and other wash waters but excludes sewage and industrial wastes. Also called storm drain. Subsurface Drain (SSD): A pervious backfield trench, usually containing stone and perforated pipe for intercepting groundwater or seepage. Surface Runoff: Precipitation that flows onto the surfaces of roofs, streets, the ground, etc., and is not absorbed or retained by that surface but collects and runs off. Swale: An elongated depression in the land surface that is at least seasonally wet, is usually heavily vegetated, and is normally without flowing water. Swales conduct stormwater into primary drainage channels and may provide some groundwater recharge. Tailwater: The water surface elevation at the downstream side of a hydraulic structure (i.e. culvert, bridge). Tile Drain: Pipe made of perforated plastic, burned clay, concrete, or similar material, laid to a designed grade and depth, to collect and carry excess water from the soil. Tile Drainage: Land drainage by means of a series of tile lines laid at a specified depth, grade, and spacing. Toe of Slope: The base or bottom of a slope at the point where the ground surface abruptly changes to a significantly flatter grade. Top of Casting: The top elevation of a casting or lid on a manhole or inlet. Topographic Map: Graphical portrayal of the topographic featured of a land area, showing both the horizontal distances between the features and their elevations above a given datum. Topography: The representation of a portion of the earth's surface showing natural and man-made features of a given locality such as rivers, streams, ditches, lakes, roads, buildings and most importantly, variations in ground elevations for the terrain of the area. Trash Rack: A structural device used to prevent debris from entering a pipe spillway or other hydraulic structure. Underdrain: A small diameter perforated pipe that allows the bottom of a detention basin, channel or swale to drain. Water Table: (1) The free surface of the groundwater. (2) That surface subject to atmospheric pressure under the ground, generally rising and falling with the season or from other conditions such as water withdrawal. Watershed: The region drained by or contributing water to a specific point that could be along a stream, lake or other stormwater facilities. Watersheds are often broken down into sub-areas for the purpose of hydrologic modeling. Watershed Area: All land and water within the confines of a drainage divide. Wetlands: Areas that are inundated or saturated by surface water or groundwater at a frequency and duration sufficient to support, and that under normal circumstances do support, a prevalence of vegetation typically adapted for life saturated soil conditions.

bottom of page